2 December 2019 / London, UK

My Curls Definition Routine




I have filmed this video before, in fact it was my first YouTube video but this happens to be my most requested video! For the longest time I thought to myself “I’m not doing anything new here” I have picked up technics from reading and watching many YouTube videos, kept what works best for me and personalised them to my own needs!

But I have also realised that not everybody has the time, the passion, the patience, or are exposed to the same content creators as me! I sometimes would mention a well-known content creator to a friend and they will be like “who?”

Now, I have used different products combo to define my curls but two products always stays in my recipe! I will recommend to use whatever you have or can find plus those products! I will also explain why I use these products so you decide if you would like to go for them or not, and what else to look for!!

My two must-have curls definition products

To define my curls, I always use water. I put it in a spray bottle for easy and cleaner diffusion. My second must-have product is the Eco Style Gel, I always go for the olive oil just because I happen to prefer this one, keep in mind that I have only used two different eco style gels, the olive oil and the Black Castor and Flaxseed gel! I find the olive oil gel less flaky, and I buy the big bucket 2,36 litre, it laaasts!

The process of defining my curls and why I use certain products

I happen to follow more or less the LOC method (liquid, oil, cream) unknowingly; I have found out only recently. 

Water is my best friend, it moisturises my hair and most of all helps me to achieve an easy detangling process!
The next thing I will add to my hair after water is usually a leave-in conditioner! It is maybe a bit heavy for what it is suggested. It is recommended to use a liquid water-based moisturising product. This time, I'm using the Maui Moisture vanilla bean hair butter, and it is actually good. I find it not heavy and it is definitely water-based! 
Then I will add coconut oil to seal in the moisture! I personally like to add oil to help with separating my hair (shingling) easily when I add the gel and for shine when it dries.
The eco style gel will come last, and will help with flawless definition of the curls and hold their shapes. The curls don’t end up stiff either and I like that.

I always work in sections and make sure I have time so I’m patient with my hair!
I detangle with my Denman brush before I add the gel because it is easier that way and I pull my hair less! If needed later I detangle with my fingers.

If I want very defined curls I use a bit more gel, and I will spend more time shingling carefully and nicely
Keep in mind that more gel for more defined curls could mean less volume, if you want the volume afterward you can pick your roots up with the appropriate comb (afro hair comb) or you just decrease the amount of gel and/or separate your hair less (raking).

However my curly hairstyle will last longer with well-defined curls and I obviously obtain the volume later, thanks to frizzes.

I prefer to air dry my curls but I diffused it with a blow drier whenever I'm filming or when I'm in hurry, which doesn't happen often, my curls definition routine requires time and most of the time I plan well ahead! 

As I have mentioned above, I have tried all kind of methods, and products combo, I still am, before settling for things that work well for me! Therefore I would suggest you to do the same, try things and find out what suits you best! And I hope you do find something valuable from this post!
Don't forget to Subscribe to my Youtube channel link





Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Mayite | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig